RADIOHEAD - My ultimate "emo" inspiration


You can call me “last-year” but I just started listening to Radiohead a year ago. If Creep is the only Radiohead song that you know, you should check out their other songs because Creep is definitely not their best song, in my opinion. By far, OK Computer and In Rainbows (also In Rainbows 2are two favorite Radiohead albums of mine.

What makes them special…
1. Lyrics
Their songs are mostly about human experience and they are really, really, really sad, but their lyrics are pretty short. Therefore, every word of their lyrics counts.

2. Musical composition
Radiohead songs are not composed in the typical 4-chord-song method (because they’re not basic). For example House of Cards in In Rainbows, the first part of the song has only three chords, with the third chord is the variation of the first chord (E to Eadd9, and I checked it on ultimate-guitar). However, the song is not that simple. If you can hear the instrument clearly, you can totally distinct layers of different instruments, or sounds, that bring altogether the “sad” feeling.

3. Videos
I consider myself a listener rather than a watcher, so I don’t usually watch music videos. But Radiohead’s videos are exception. Their videos are mostly low-budget and simple, but they go along with the songs very well, in terms of how the videos demonstrate the lyrics.



Final verdict
For the project I'm working on for this class, I'm making a short music video for a song that my friend just wrote. The first time I listened to the song, I could clearly sense "this is a Radiohead-vibe song", but more upbeat a little bit. Therefore, the video I'm making is really simple in terms of shots and angles, but I'll focus on effects of the videos to correspond to the more upbeat music. 







Comments

Popular Posts